Tuesday, May 19, 2009

ah-buhhh?

Today was supposed to be a normal day.

The cool blast of air felt nice on my face after the long walk which I had been subjected to after the bus broke down on this, the hottest day of the summer. As soon as I got past the multiple locks that kept my things away from everyone else, I went straight to the fridge and opened the freezer, where I received said blast. I stood there for a few minutes, letting the sweat on my face turn cold. Finally, I opened my eyes, wondering what frozen treat I could eat while waiting for the sun to set. Not really in the mood for a tropical fruit sensation, I settled for Rocky Road. I grabbed a cup from the cabinet, a spoon from the drawer, and took a few spoonfuls. Satisfied with the amount, I put the ice cream back and closed the freezer door. It was a lazy Sunday afternoon, the kind where you don't want to do anything but take a long, glorious nap. Wiping the leftover sweat from my face, i went into my room and opened the windows, letting in what little cool air there was outside. Better to have some circulation than stuffy air, anyway. Looking outside, I could see the harbor, and the bridge. Gulls were floating in the air, their cries audible even from where I stood. The faint whistle of a train could be heard, as it slowed into the station. As my gaze wandered about the ocean shined light too bright in my eyes, so I shielded them and closed the blinds. I looked to my room. It was a mess, but it couldn't be helped. I had much work to do, and cleanliness was not my priority. At least, not at the moment. I pondered on whether I should clean a little before getting on with doing absolutely nothing, but my ice cream was melting, so I rescheduled my cleanup to an indeterminate hour. I took a few spoonfuls from my cup and set it on the table, the ice cream already turning into soup. Dropping into my chair, I switched on my laptop and waited for the system to start up. In the meantime, I had a little more of my soupy ice cream while reading a few pages from a nearby book that was lying around. Some lady was refusing a hot water bottle from her mother when the computer finally beeped to life. Setting the book down and finishing the last of my ice cream (well, drinking it, really) I wandered around the internet while listening to some music. Guitar chords clanged while an accordion began a little tune. I listened for a while, before deciding to skip to the next tune, which was even less appealing. I switched off the music player, staring at the screen in silence.

After a few hours of mindless surfing, I blinked my tired eyes. I peered through the window blinds and looked out into the amber horizon. The sun was finally beginning to set, taking the heat away with it. I breathed a sigh of relief, and got up. Taking my empty glass and the book lying next to it, I walked to the kitchen and deposited the glass in the sink. Grabbing my shoes, I stepped out into the amber light. It was still a bit warm out, but the sea air had already begun its work of cooling everything down. I thought about getting a sweater, but I decided against it. Besides, I wasn't going to be out long, just enough to get fresh air in my lungs. I began by walking towards the large group of buildings near my apartment. They were responsible for research, or something like that. I wasn't too sure, but then again, I didn't really care. The outside seemed harmless enough, so I had no problems with it. Passing the buildings, I walked past a line of trees, weaving around them as I passed by. I tossed my book in the air several times, until i finally dropped it. Not wanting to repeat the incident, I picked it up and moved along. Finally, I reached a large overpass. Walking through it, I looked up, admiring the impossible graffiti. Reaching some stairs, I climbed them and ended up on a pedestrian bridge connected to the side of the overpass. I took a seat, looking down at the train tracks below. I opened my book and began to read. As I was getting to the part where the heroine was not romantically inclined, I heard a soft mewing behind me. I turned to see a small black kitten looking up at me, expectantly.

"Sorry, kitty. I don't have any food." I said. I let out a little laugh and added, "You must be in some big trouble, huh?"

The kitten looked at me pensively. "Perhaps, but not nearly as much trouble as you'll be in."

2 comments: